Tuesday, April 1, 2008

No Second Life For Me

I was scouting around for anther time-waster recently… NationStates just isn’t working over the long haul. I’m not interested in politics, so even the lovely image of marmots frolicking in the wilderness digging up doubloons wasn’t enough to make me really participate. Then someone told me about Second Life.
Took me a long time to download, but I did that overnight and gave my character a name. Somehow she showed up in this territory, naked. No matter how many times I clicked on “appearance” nothing showed up to help me put clothes on her. She could stand up or sit down and walk around, in the midst of all these other (clothed) characters. Other "residents" were wandering around and talking to each other. I couldn't tell if they saw that she was naked or not. It was like your worst nightmare.
Next night I managed to find a land for her to visit… Van Gogh’s Starry Night looked pretty cool. I made her fly a little bit. However, since it was DARK there, I couldn’t see her. I’m sure she felt better being naked in the dark, though.
Third try took me to “help” where I finally bothered to read the specifications. “You Cannot Play Second Life if you have a dial-up connection!”
Thirty seconds later, all is uninstalled and my character has gone back to Limbo. Funny thing is, I can't stop thinking about her...is she still waiting for me to give her some clothes? Are there other frustrated naked residents there whose creators gave up? Can she just go back to non-existence? Or will she have to reincarnate some other way?

3 comments:

Degolar said...

Don't know if this link will work, but . . .

ZiaSun said...

Yep, it worked. Two thoughts: Someday when I get a fast connection, I may try this again. Also, it may be just me... but isn't this a strange topic for a library conference session?

Degolar said...

I've only seen headlines and not really explored it, but some librarians are trying to create a presence in Second Life so that people there will have library services too. I also think the state librarian uses it for distance meetings.