Friday, April 18, 2008

Banned Book (in our library)

We have a child in our school who evidently just freaks out when she sees the cover of this book, so much so that we have to keep it off the shelves and in the librarian's office.
No big deal, when someone asks for it, we let them check it out and then it goes back to the office. I guess at the beginning of the year she asked the librarian, "You don't have that book in here, do you?" and heaved a sigh of relief when the answer was "No."
I'm not unsympathetic about this child's fear, after all, when I was that age (first grade) I was so afraid of the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk that I hid in the bathroom all during storytime (you shoulda seen the kids in line by the time I came out of there!!)
But I do think it's odd that in her school picture she's wearing a shirt with great big horizontal stripes on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to sound unsympathic either, since I was very much a scaredy-cat when I was a kid. But at some point, don't people, even children, need to learn how to deal with stuff by not being sheltered all the time? It didn't really do Buddha much good to be sheltered now did it.

LA

ZiaSun said...

Since I wasn't there when all this first happened, all I can say is that the librarian isn't the kind of person to deal well with crap...she wouldn't give in unless it just seemed like it was the best thing. So I think this situation is just too big for her to handle any other way. The parents don't speak enough English to communicate about it. I think kids in school get enough heaped on them without being handed a nightmare on top of everything that's "normal" but then I had traumatic stuff happen in school, so it might be just me.