Here's part of Jack's notice to the landlord of the place we rented together... she lives in Spain. He didn't mention the roots growing under the house which are making cracks in the floor, or the termite damage.
Everything I described in the past as wrong with the house still is wrong [other than the roof leaks are repaired for the moment]. Once I began packing I found conditions were actually worse than I knew.
The main problems when I'm gone will be:
1] The fact the plumbing drain line from the kitchen sink hasn't drained at all in months and can't be repaired short of excavating the line.
2] The hot water leak under the bathroom floor which disallows bathing without carrying water from the kitchen sink to the bathroom will require the house to be vacant while the work is done excavating the floor.
3] The impossibility of keeping any portion of the house above 40-45 degrees F. wintertime without bankrupting ones self on utility bills. I see no solution to this problem.
4] The outside wall to the bedroom appears to be buckling inward, causing all the plaster to fall off onto the floor. Interior walls also appear to be suffering the cumulative damages resulting from decades of neglect.
5] All the wood frames for doors and windows in the back of the house are rotted so badly most won't hold wood-screws rendering the windows impossible to close tightly or secure in a way they can't be opened with the push of a finger.
6] Electrical wiring in the bathroom is entirely defunct. During my tenure here I've always run power for lights there by extension cords from the bedroom.
7] The ceiling fan in the living room began smoking this winter, probably because I kept it running constantly trying to keep warm air from rising to the ceiling. If anyone ever occupies the house again the fan will need to be replaced.
But I've described all this to you before [except the ceiling fan and the surprising decline I've seen once I began packing] and discussed the major problems with your sister and her husband (previous landlords)long before they became so acute.
If you wish I can send pictures of anything that interests you before I vacate.
I'll be happy to mail the key to any address you prefer, or leave it on the porch. Although locking the house is pointless because anyone who wants in can come through a back window without breaking glass, I'd prefer to leave the front door locked.
The above pictures show previously excavated roots that were growing under the living room when we moved in. Jack dug these pieces up intact. We think they look like a roadrunner and a kokopelli. They will be moved to Texas.
The above pictures show previously excavated roots that were growing under the living room when we moved in. Jack dug these pieces up intact. We think they look like a roadrunner and a kokopelli. They will be moved to Texas.

No comments:
Post a Comment